Saturday, November 13, 2010

Sparring Intro

This week was quite interesting and challenging as it was my first taste of sparring. It seems to me that this is one of those skills that others make look too easy. I have watched the advanced guys (haven't seen another girl do it) they are so relaxed and on point that it all looks so easy, it is not. There is so much to remember and so much information to process quickly that it is quite overwhelming.

Luckily for us who are new to this some good ground rules were in place.
1) only 3 punches were allowed
2) full protective gear worn
3) all punches had to be light

So basically the environment was set up for us to get our feet wet without injury. Even with these rules I still managed to get hit in the nose a couple times, not painful, but not pleasant either. It is times like this that I am thankful for my older brother beating me up all the time when we were kids! I can take a hit to the nose.

It is quite an intimidating experience as I am only 5'1" and everyone else is either a large man or a small quick boy. But no matter how intimidated I feel I am still able to keep going. My biggest hurdle is to turn off my brain and just go with my instincts trust that I will block and counter as I have been trained. I am confident that I will be able to get to the "I make this look easy" stage. I think that I would be more worried if I was a natural fighter than if I struggle with it. I am looking forward to more sparring practice and working on all those details!


- Janeil

No comments:

Post a Comment